An introduction to four Bible studies for new or re-committed Christians who want to grow in their relationship with Jesus.
Spiritual Disciplines Worksheet
Use this worksheet as a response to what you learned in study 2: Your Relationship with God and Others.
PLAN FOR SPIRITUAL GROWTH
Please pick one spiritual growth exercise that you will do this week. Keep track of your experiences in your journal.
___ PRAY DAILY
Here is a format you can use to guide your prayers. It is called ACTS:
ADORATION: appreciating God for who he is apart from what he gives us
“Thank you for being a forgiving a God.”
CONFESSION: acknowledging to God our specific sin and asking forgiveness
“I confess that I have not loved you as I should this week.”
THANKSGIVING: thanking God for all he has done for us
“Thank you for helping me with my stress during a busy week.”
SUPPLICATION: asking God to supply our needs and the needs of others
“Help me to spend time with you every day.”
___ READ THE BIBLE DAILY
Ask questions as you read. Here are some ideas:
- How does this story or these verses show me what God is like?
- What is the main message in this text? What does it mean for my life?
- What is my favorite verse from what I’m reading? Why?
Two suggestions for what to read:
- Read the short letter of 1 John, one chapter a day
- Join thirstyproject.org and receive a daily Bible passage on your smart phone.
___ SERVE OR HELP SOMEONE
Ask God to give you opportunities to serve or help others. Here are some suggestions:
- Ask someone how they are doing and take the time to listen.
- Put someone else’s needs before your own.
- Act on something you learned from reading the Bible this week.
- Share with someone what God has done for you. Invite them to experience God too.
___ CONNECT WITH OTHER CHRISTIANS
Talk with someone about Jesus every week; we can’t grow alone. Here are some ideas:
- Attend a small group Bible study or campus fellowship gathering.
- Make an appointment for coffee with a friend or ministry staff worker.
- Go to church weekly to worship Jesus and listen to a good biblical message to help you grow.
- Have you been baptized? Baptism is a command from Jesus (see Matthew 28:18-20). Baptism helps us to publicly declare our faith in Jesus. Find out from your church what steps you need to take regarding baptism. If you will be getting baptized, invite your friends to come and witness your new commitment to Jesus!